Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dude...!! Where's my car???

2007 is turning out to be a bad year for me by all accounts.

Sometime in January, my wife, Doris, was victim of a lone Mat Rempit snatch thief in front of SS2 McD's. She was about to cross the road with my elder son, Ewan, when the perpetrator struck. Doris fell down and suffered some bruises and scratches on her knees and shoulder but thankfully nothing more than that as we all have read of snatch theft victims who have died or suffered serious injuries as a result of impact to the head.

Then in February, a couple of idiots came by the office during lunch time and took off with my laptop. At that time, only one of my staff was left in the office and without looking, she allowed 2 chaps in when they pressed the intercom and claimed to be courier boys. Upon gaining entry, they started their sales pitch about selling carpets as both of them had a rug with them. Whilst one of them was talking to my staff, the other fellow quickly sneaked into my office. When my staff realised one of them had gone in, she asked both of them to leave which they did and when she went into my office to check, the laptop was already gone together with the perpetrators. One of my client arrived at the same time when the 2 fellows were making their get away but later told me that she did not see them carrying anything else other than the rug. I'm pretty sure they had hidden the laptop under the rug & buggered off with it. Since then, I've made it a point to back up my files at least once a week. It is annoying to lose the lap top that way but to me, its the documents & nearly 10 years of precedents that's more important than the hardware itself as insurance took care of the replacement, albeit partially.

September was when Dad was diagnosed with cancer and although we're keeping our chins up on that issue, it is still a very depressing piece of news. He's gone for a 2nd round of chemoteraphy last Wednesday and outwardly, have not shown any decline in his general state of health. We'll only have a clearer picture if he has responded well to chemo after his third round early next month when a CT scan is done. Am keeping all fingers & toes crossed for good news.

Then on Wednesday (17/10/07), my 6 year old Perdana was stolen right in front of my office. After picking up my Dad & Mum from SJMC, I went back to the office and parked it at a busy side lane just 2 doors from the office. Doris came back to the office about 4.30pm & said she noticed where I had parked the car. I was supposed to send Ewan for his tennis lessons at 5.30pm but lo & behold, the car wasn't where it was anymore. Doris & I immediately went over to the Brickfields Balai to lodge a report. The investigating officer (IO) was efficient in getting my statement recorded but I suspect it was because he was in a bit of a hurry to knock off as he was nearing the end of his 24 hour shift. i had informed him that my neighbour had a CCTV installed facing the direction of the lane where the car was parked but he was not willing to come over to take a look at the video but instead, asked me to view it myself & send him a copy. So much for a dedicated police force.

I only managed to have a look at the CCTV recording the next day & the images was that of at least 2 persons doing the job. But only one of them could be seen as the other fellow remained in the car they came in. But once the coast was clear the guy, probably using a master key, very casually unlocked the car, started the engine & drove off all within a space of 2 minutes. It was like a scene out of 'Gone In 60 Seconds'. As my neighbour only had the CCTV installed not too long ago, they weren't very sure how to zoom in or if they could burn a copy of the video. They'll be calling the CCTV installers for help in that aspect as their car number plate could be seen clearly as well but then again, it may be a fake. For whatever its worth, once I have a copy of the recording, I'll pass it on to the police & let them get on with their investigations, if they're bothered at all to do it.

Initially, I really don't know WTF these dweebs want to do with a 6 year old car but I've only 2 theories, either they're gonna send it to the chop shop or use it for some criminal activity. However according to a reliable source (which I shall not reveal too much about but suffice to say, this person have some shady links), the car is already in pieces & they know the group of people these perpetrators belong to also. But I'll leave the matter to the cops & not go to the extent of getting even as it may easily lead to further complications, if you know what I mean.

There was nothing important kept in the car but my house keys. After lodging the report, it was straight to the locksmiths to get a new set of padlocks & getting 3 good ones set me back RM250.00. Then I had to cut a bunch of keys with remote control for the gate & that was another RM100.00 gone. But what I've lost also was my Metallica Black Album (Japanese import version), a Janis Joplin compilation CD, one Jimi Hendrix CD from a box set & a James Brown CD which was in the CD changer. I'm pretty sure I can get the Joplin & James Brown CDs but not too sure about the Metallica & Hendrix. In any case, its gonna be expensive to replace the Hendrix CD as it came in a box set.

As for the car, I'd rather prefer to get my insurance claim than for them to find the car as I don't intend to keep the car even if they find it. But in a depressed 2nd hand car market, it may be more difficult to get rid of it & get a good price for it. I'm told I'll have to wait a few months before I can get the cops to issue me with a letter confirming they can't find the car before the insurance claim is processed. I've been informed also that its a common policy that insurance companies will only pay 80% of the current market value but my uncle told me that this can be increased with some...err "persuasion". What I mean is that the insurance guy get a small cut from the increased pay off. Don't know if I'll do that or not, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

New car? Am not gonna contemplate that yet until I see my insurance money as I have access to my mum-in law or my Dad's car if we need a 2nd car to run about our business. Until then, its gonna be the fuel guzzler Naza for a few months at least.

And oh...good bye my dear faithful Perdana! :(

6 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Sorry, dude, bout all the misfortune to have befallen u this year.

Have another to add to yer woes. Remember, u said NOT to tell yer wifey bout VW Beetle is on Raya offer @ RM129K. . . Well, she already knows & I suspect you will be accompanying her to the showroom soon. . .

weiyin69 said...

Aiyo, sorry about your loss. Well, at least now you have a valid and good excuse to buy a new car soon! Mine is now undergoing major reconstruction ... at least the insurance company people here are efficient in processing the claim.

ISA said...

OI!!! kita semua kena MANDI BUNGA bro..dgn air dari tujuh anak sungai..rafa & the boys must join us too...

aiya...perdana pun mahu curi...

Bernard said...

Mandi bunga kat spa mana? I ikut saja Tuan Isa...Keh! Keh! Keh!

nick m said...

keep your chin up as you said yourself. i'm sure you know we're all behind you!

Alliedmartster said...

bro, sorry to hear about your string of not so good fortune. but take it from someone who has been there. . . Its all uphill fromhere!
new car, new laptop, . . . He he.
on the serious side, do take more care, for e.g captor system, its been proven where some fancy cars were retrieved when the signal jammed the car transmisssion. Lets catch up!